Biomass Historical Archive
2013 Biomass Harvesting Guidelines Review Process
1st Stakeholder Advisory Committee Meeting – 2/25/2013
- Biomass Harvesting Guidelines
- Harvesting Woody Biomass
- Impacts of Harvesting Forest Residues at Different Intensities in Northern Hardwood Forests
- Implementation of Wisconsin's Biomass Harvesting Guidelines on Wisconsin's County Forests (2010-2012)
- Review of Wisconsin's Forestland Woody Biomass Harvesting Guidelines
- Review of Wisconsin's Woody Biomass Harvesting Guidelines
- Woody Biomass Guidelines - Economic Considerations
- Woody Biomass Harvesting - New Research Summary
Historical Archive of Biomass Harvesting Guidelines Development
Past Documentation and Announcements
The revised BHG Implementation Plan was accepted by the Council on Forestry at their March 17, 2009 meeting. Below are three documents that summarize the Implementation Plan process - a summary report of the proposed Implementation Plan, an implementation calendar and write-ups of individual implementation elements that provide additional details to supplement the summary report, and summarized and full-text comments received from stakeholders about the implementation plan.
Public Listening Session
- Guideline Implementation and Flexibility Final Draft [Word]
- Updating and Info Mgt Final Draft [Word]
- Field Implementation Final Draft [Word]
- Monitoring Options Final Draft [Word]
- Research Final Draft [Word]
- Site Differentiation Element Final Draft [Word]
- Training Element Final Draft [Word]
- Implementation Timetable Final Draft [Excel]
The Final draft of Wisconsin's Forestland Woody Biomass Harvesting Guidelines was approved by the Advisory Committee at their December 3, 2008 meeting. The guidelines were subsequently forwarded to the Council on Forestry. The Council on Forestry heard discussion of the guidelines at their December 16, 2008 meeting and accepted the fifth draft of guidelines at that time.
Results of public listening sessions for proposed Forestland Woody Biomass Harvesting Guidelines
Note: The number that appears in the “Response” column of the Public Comments Spreadsheet refers to the detailed discussion of issue categories in the "Response to Issue Categories" document. Specific public comments that were not addressed by the issue categories were given a separate response.
Public Review of Draft Wisconsin's Forestland Woody Biomass Harvesting Guidelines
A public review period for the proposed "Wisconsin's Forestland Woody Biomass Harvesting Guidelines" will take place between now and November 12, 2008. Please send written comments, using the form attached here, to: Eunice Padley; Wisconsin DNR - Division of Forestry; P.O. Box 7921- FR/4; Madison, WI 53707.
- 4th draft - Wisconsin's Forestland Woody Biomass Harvesting Guidelines [PDF]
- PowerPoint show given at public listening sessions [PDF]
Public listening sessions will be held at four locations around the state. Members of the public will have the opportunity to submit written comments regarding the proposed guidelines. The DNR Division of Forestry Technical Team and members of the Stakeholder Advisory Committee will be available to answer questions. For more information about the public listening sessions, please contact Sarah Herrick at (608)267-7689.
- October 27, 2008: 4pm to 7pm at the Spooner Agricultural Research Station; W6646 Hwy 70; Spooner, WI 54801.
- October 28, 2008: 4pm to 7pm at the Rhinelander City Hall; 135 South Stevens Street; Rhinelander, WI 54501.
- November 3, 2008: 4pm to 7pm at the UW-Arboretum McKay visitors Center; 1207 Seminole Highway; Madison, WI 53711 (http://uwarboretum.org/visit/).
- November 5, 2008: 4pm to 7pm at the Portage County Courthouse Annex room 1; 1462 Strongs Ave.; Stevens Point, WI 54481.
At its June 2007 meeting the Wisconsin Council on Forestry decided to focus its energy on woody biomass towards:
- Harvesting and transportation issues relative to woody biomass.
- Outreach education and identification of barriers specific to woody biomass.
Efforts in Progress
Woody Biomass Harvesting Guideline Development for Forestland in Wisconsin
In September 2007, the Council decided to sponsor the WDNR Division of Forestry in an effort to develop guidelines for the harvest of woody biomass on Wisconsin's forestlands. Guideline development will build on the work done by the Minnesota Forest Resources Council. The process will include expert review, stakeholder advisory committee input, and approval by the Wisconsin Council on Forestry. The guidelines are expected to be completed by December 2008. If approved, these guidelines may become part of Wisconsin's Forest Management Guidelines.
The guidelines will focus on the sustainable harvest of woody biomass from forested areas within the context of generally accepted forestry practices, while protecting soil, water, and biodiversity that are characteristic of sustainable forest ecosystems. Recommendations will be based on the best available information regarding harvesting effects on forest ecosystems. Although it is always an option not to harvest biomass, these guidelines are intended for cases where biomass harvesting is being planned or considered.
The objective is to provide guidance to forest resource managers, loggers, equipment operators, contractors, and landowners in Wisconsin. The guidelines will facilitate operational analysis and informed decision-making regarding the harvest of woody biomass from forestland. Attention to Minnesota's guidelines will ensure a greater degree of consistency for individuals and institutions that work across the Wisconsin-Minnesota border. The guidelines will provide a tool to enable sustainable forest management.
- Advisory Committee Members (PDF)
- Scope Document (PDF)
- Expert Reviewers (PDF)
- Advisory Committee Meeting Minutes - Feb. 12, 2008 (PDF)
- Minnesota Guidelines (PDF)
April 29 Advisory Committee Meeting Materials
- Biodiversity (PDF)
- Physical and water quality (PDF)
- Soil nutrients (PDF)
- Woody biomass harvest – Demchik (PDF)
- April 29th meeting minutes (PDF)
- Breakout sessions:
June 19 Advisory Committee Meeting Materials
- June 16 DRAFT - Wisconsin's Forestland Woody Biomass Harvesting Guidelines (PDF)
- June 16 DRAFT - Rationale for the Guidelines (PDF)
- June 19th DRAFT meeting minutes (PDF)
August 26 Advisory Committee Meeting Materials
The Wisconsin Council on Forestry has convened a Woody Biomass Task Force, chaired by Bill Horvath, to help craft public policy and a legislative framework for more effective use of woody biomass to meet Wisconsin's growing demands for energy and fuel.
- Recommended Policy through Legislation to Encourage The Production and Utilization of Woody Biomass
- Definition of woody biomass as it relates to the Council's recommendations
- Final Report
- Task Group Summary Report by Chairman Bill Horvath
- Task Force Members
- Woody Biomass on Wisconsin Forestland - a presentation by Vern Everson
- June 13, 2006 Report of the Woody Biomass Task Force